Do you have a small guy or girl who would love a ninja version of the knight hoodie? Here’s how to do it in 4 easy steps.
These instructions are to be combined with the instructions provided with the knight hoodie pattern in order to complete the hoodie.
1. Remove the helmet crest
Cut your helmet pieces as shown. You can follow the pattern directions but obviously you won’t need to pivot and clip when sewing the helmet seam.
2. Enlarge the helmet armour pattern piece.
Note – I’m Australian, so armour has a ‘u’ in it for me, as does colour and mum 🙂
To give more forehead coverage, I enlarged the pattern piece as shown below.
Attach to the hood as per the pattern instructions.
3. Remove shoulder armour piece and replace with sash.
To create the sash, cut a long strip (the length of your fabric) approximately 3 inches wide. Laying the strip over the back pattern piece, fold approximately 1/2 inch under on both sides and pin as shown. Sew down both sides of the sash using a 1/4 inch seam allowance.
To create the front sash piece, lay out the left and right front pattern pieces and lay the sash piece across both as shown and pin in place.
Cut the sash piece to separate the left and right front hoodie pieces. Before sewing be sure the check the sash alignment in these places:
1. to account for the zipper seam allowance, fold the left and right front hoodie pieces under by 1/2 inch where the zipper will go. are the sash pieces still aligned? If not, tweak the position of the sash and re-pin.
2. Check the alignment at the shoulder where the front sash and the back sash will meet. Are these pieces aligned? If not tweak the sash position and re-pin.
Once you are happy with the alignment of the front sash, sew both sides with a 1/4 seam allowance.
4. Remove kangaroo pockets and replace with side seam pockets.
Trace a side seam pocket from another pattern or from a piece of clothing that fits your child. Cut 4 pocket pieces (make sure 2 pocket pieces are reversed). Work out where you would like the pockets positioned and pin as shown below right sides together, one pocket piece on the front and one on the back. Sew along the pinned edge. Make sure the front and back pocket pieces are in alignment. Repeat on the other side.
Pin as shown below and sew the front and back pieces together, going around the pocket as you go. Repeat on the other side.
Continue on as per the Knight Hoodie instructions and you will have yourself a fabulous ninja hoodie!! Be sure to send me a photo if you make one – either by email, or tag me on instagram @nearestthepin – Good Luck!!